Persistence...

There are people who say that "the early bird gets the worm" or that "positive thoughts = positive results" and as true as those statements may be... there is nothing to me that counts more than persistence. I've had so many doors(well... metaphorical doors) slammed in my face so many times, it began to take its toll on me both emotionally and professionally. I began to doubt myself and my abilities to create great work. After a while I started to think that I wasn't going to be able to "make it" in this highly subjective and crowded business. After countless emails and office visits, always going back again and again... but never to the point of stalking or having security know me by name, except for one building that shall not be named... I was given a chance. And I believe that a chance is what 90% of all struggling photographers are looking for, just that one break that will make their career a reality. As much as I would like to tell you that it only takes one chance, one moment, one gig to create a career in this business, that is simply not the case.

I like to think of this business as a bit of a track meet, and more specifically the hurdles. Everyone is allowed a bit of space to get up to speed, and some are faster than others but you should always know that there will be a hurdle coming soon. Those who run too fast and didn't prepare will crash into that first hurdle and their race is over. Once you can see that first hurdle you should begin preparing yourself and when you get there you want to be sure you get over it cleanly/neatly and with a business card in hand. After you clear that first hurdle you have to immediately begin thinking about the next o
ne or you won't have enough time to get ready. Its a long race and the good ones... the really really good ones are looking much further down the track than you are. They know that each hurdle as trivial and meaningless as it may seem has just as much a chance to trip them up as any other. Some artists seem to think that this race is a sprint and that it will be over shortly... but it isn't, and the only thing that is going to get you over all these hurdles is persistence.

And maybe a little air time...

- JD



This shot was taken with my Canon Mark IIDs 24-70mm at F11 and 1/500th of a second with nothing but good old fashion sunlight.


As always you guys can check out the WEBSITE here... www.JamesDouglasStudio.com
Follow me on TWITTER here... www.twitter.com/TheJamesDouglas
And LIKE something decent for once...  www.Facebook.com/TheJamesDouglasStudio

No comments:

Post a Comment