Lighting...

If you see a style of lighting that you like... you have to experiment with it... see what you can and can't mimic and once you get to a place where you think you have done what the artist has done... put your lil twist on it. Whether it's your subject, colors, little tweaks or however you create your own lighting solutions, the key is to keep playing and keep experimenting and eventually, hopefully people will start looking to your wok for inspiration.

Here's a shot that I recently did with a friend of mine that took me a good hour of prep and tweaking till I finally got it just right. I was going for a little ode to Annie Leibovitz when I started... going for that nostalgic look that she gets in a lot of her imagery but I wanted to put my own lil spin on it. 

- JD




Shot in my NYC studio with a Canon Mark II Ds at 1/250 and f/16... three light setup in an over head "triangle" with medium Photoflex softboxes on each.

Email me any questions... James@JamesDouglasShields.com

As always you guys can check out the WEBSITE here... www.JamesDouglasStudio.com
Follow me on TWITTER here... www.twitter.com/TheJamesDouglas
And LIKE something decent for once...  www.Facebook.com/TheJamesDouglasStudio

No comments:

Post a Comment